Ok so I am still trying to figure this whole "let''s hate Sarah Palin" phenomenon. The previous article i posted I think did a good job of explaining at least one theory. But I am still truly baffled. What I have come to realize is that she is a threat to Obama supporters ( which includes all mainstream media) and they have to do whatever they can to tear her down, to make her look stupid, to convince people that she is not prepared. They put her under a microscope to try to find any and all imperfections and even to make some things that aren't' even there. That's fine I guess but if you are going to do that to one candidate then you need to do it to all of them including Obama and Biden. I am amazed by the true findings about Obama that bounce off the mainstream media to cover up things about Obama. They have actually told lies to cover up for Obama. They don't question Obama on anything. " oh Bill Ayers, he was just a guy in my neighborhood". They say "ok Obama". " oh Rev Wright who I listened to for 20 years, considered my spiritual advisor, had baptize my children, and marry my wife and I, Umm yeah i don't really like him anymore and I never heard any of those offensive comments during the 20 years I knew him, I missed those sundays". They say " Oh ok Obama". The list goes on and on, Rezco, ACORN, Saul Alinsky, Raila Odinga. I am surprised the media isn't saying " poor Obama, he used to have a lot of friends, now he doesn't, what a strong man he is". Oh and don't even get me started on gaffe a day Joe. " Oh that Joe, he makes stupid comments all of the time, that silly Joe". I'm sorry if Sarah Palin couldn't count to 4, she would be done. And you would think that she really couldn't count to 4 by the way she is characterized.
The thing that bothers me is that people never gave her a chance. As soon as she was chosen, the left had already decided McCain picked her because she was a woman. Then they decided that her only qualification was that "she hadn't had an abortion". There were facebook groups such as " Intelligent Women Against Sarah Palin" up and running within minutes. I kind of wanted to know what this group meant. Are you intelligent if you are against Sarah Palin? Are you unintelligent if you aren't against Sarah Palin? Or it is just that you know Sarah Palin isn't intelligent, even though you don't even have any proof of that. It couldn't be that that a lot of Americans are elitist snobs, or could it. Unfortunately that is the conclusion I have come to. I had always thought that in America, anyone could do anything they wanted if they worked hard enough. Yes women can become the President! Well apparently I didn't get the memo that women can do anything like become President as long as they have an Ivy League education or at the very least a law degree. Oh ok. I gotcha! Apparently I am one of those "unintelligent" people. Maybe that was on the same memo that all of those "code words" were on.
Well I did know about Sarah Palin before she came onto the national scene. Conservatives have been scouting her out for some time, even devoting blogs to making the case for her to be the VP pick. I liked what I saw. But I have to admit I was still shocked yet thrilled when McCain chose her. Not becuase I thought she wouldn't be great, but because I thought he would end up giving into the pressure of choosing a Washington insider.
I have had many people give me their theories on why McCain picked her. I have been told, he picked her because she is a woman, that he picked her because she is an "Evangelical" Christian, oh yeah that he picked her because "she is hot". Well I am not saying that these things didn't help but he really did pick her because of her history as a reformer, her perspective as an "everyday American", and her status as a Washington outsider. And I might add that she has tremendous political instincts and talent. I just finished reading a book that was written about her (written and published BEFORE she become the VP pick) and her story truly is remarkable. She got into politics because she wanted to fight corruption. She became mayor at age 32 through grassroots efforts. She had no money like the other candidates did and she still won. She was given a position on the energy board and while she was there she witnessed a lot of corruption and saw that the people of Wasilla were mad. She gave her bosses a choice, either you correct this corruption or I am resigning. She resigned. People were disappointed because they saw her as such a talented politician and said she had thrown her career away.She said she didn't care, she wasn't going to stand for corruption. So she went back to being a hockey mom. She was asked to run for a senate position but declined after her son at that time told her he didn't want her to. People criticized her again and she said " my family comes first and this is a family decision". Shortly afterwards a democrat in Alaska approached her and asked her if she would run for Governor. He was a democrat but he believed in her and in her style of politics. He knew she was the type of leader they needed in Alaska to take the corruption head on and get rid of it. This time her family all agreed she should run and with the help of that democrat ( who switched parties in order to back her) she became the first female governor of Alaska. And has maintained an 80-90% approval rating- the highest in the country.
I guess my point of all of this is to encourage those of you who have bought into the idea that she is "unintelligent", "unprepared", "unqualified". I challenge you to think about why you really feel that way. You can disagree with her policies, her beliefs, her past times, or even the way she talks. But don't underestimate her. Don't be an elitist. This is America.
I believe Sarah Palin is exactly what we need in Washington. I like it that she shares my values. But I like it even more that if she gets in, she will work for me. Our current elected officials don't have a very good track record of that. I think we have all seen that in the past couple of months.
I had a similar experience to Sarah Palin. It was on a much smaller scale but very much related. My first job after becoming a dietitian, I was hired as a food service manager for a nursing home. I had never managed anything before but they decided to give me a shot. They told me I would have plenty of training. Well I got into that facility and realized that politics takes place even in places like nursing homes. The facility didn't like the person who was training me so they told her to leave. So i was on my own. Things were a mess. They were constantly in trouble with the health department because things weren't getting done mostly due to the political games going on ( that doesn't sound at all like DC now, does it?). Well I just started working. I started organizing, hiring, firing, cleaning things up and doing things the right way. Amazingly in a months time, we had another health department survey and this time we got 100%. People were amazed at what I had done. I had VP's from my company flying in to see what I had done. They asked me how I did it and I just reponded, I just took care of what needed to be taken care of. Now I don't say this to toot my own horn. I really don't think I did anything special, I just didn't let polticis get in the way of me doing my job. But I say it to show that even someone with little or no experience can use common sense and a fight against corruption to get major things accomplished and accomplished fast. I would like to contend that just like blood is thicker than water, that common sense is thicker than an Ivy League college diploma. Much thicker.
After finishing the book I turned it over to the back cover and happened to notice a comment/review by the Huffington Post ( which tends to be pretty liberal). They said about Sarah Palin " Govenor Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be President". hmmm, I wonder why they are not saying that now? Well of course, it's not politically expedient to tell the truth about her now.
Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment