I found this quote about abortion and I thought it was really good at explaining my conviction on this as it relates to politics especially this election.
"When the time comes as it surely will, when we face that awesome moment, the final judgment, I’ve often thought, as Fulton Sheen wrote, that it is a terrible moment of loneliness. You have no advocates, you are there alone standing before God — and a terror will rip your soul like nothing you can imagine. But I really think that those in the pro-life movement will not be alone. I think there’ll be a chorus of voices that have never been heard in this world but are heard beautifully and clearly in the next world — and they will plead for everyone who has been in this movement. They will say to God, ‘Spare him, because he loved us,’ — and God will look at you and say not, ‘Did you succeed?’ but ‘Did you try?’" Congressman Henry Hyde
There is are Christian movements out there trying to get Christians to vote for Obama and the Democratic Party despite their views on abortion because they believe the Democrats will do the most good for peace and for the poor. There is actually a Political Action Committee that was formed by the person that helped John Kerry attract the "evangelical" vote in his campaign. I can't help but feel that this group is pandering to me as a Christian, hoping to win my vote by saying the "right" things. I know that there are people who are very passionate about these issues and that is guiding their politiical decision. I myself too am passionate about helping the "least of these". It is my call as a Christian to do this. I have a tremendous passion for helping orphans. My husband and I plan on adopting out of the foster care system. There are many out there who believe we need to focus on "social justice" in this election. But I believe from a govenmental standpoint the first thing we need to do is abolish the injustice of abortion just as we abolished the injustice of slavery. Back then people fought for that cause and they won. They didn't say it was good enough to reduce slavery by 60%. They fought until that number was 0. Why are Christians ready to give up the fight on abortion? This PAC group uses the verse in Matthew 25 to back up their stance about giving to the "least of these". Not that I don't agree with this verse about giving to the poor and the least of these but I disagree with the concept of trying to do this through government. And what about the "least of these" who never even get a chance at life. First of all that command was given to us as people not us as in the government. The government was not designed by God to do His work. We are called to be the hands and feet of Christ for a reason. It is not only to help the poor and the least of these financially it is also so that we can help them spiritually. Democrats typically give a lot less money to charity. Why? Probably because they believe the government should take care of everything. I disagree. I pay my taxes and I give to charity. Why? Because as a Christian I am called to be the hands and feet of Jesus in the world but I am also called to honor authority (i.e. government) by paying my taxes. I believe the government needs to be smaller to allow more room and freedom for the church to do what they do best, care for the needs of others. I agree that the church has failed in this. But I do not agree that we should as Christians be putting our energy into encouraging our government to follow the Christian principles that we as individuals are supposed to follow. I believe we should be working harder to do this as the Church.
I am not active in politics in order to try to get more government. I think we need less. The government needs to protect the lives of the people it governs and our government certainly is not doing that considering 1.21million babies were killed in 2006 alone by abortion http://www.abort73.com/. I will never waiver in my fight for the unborn. The way I see it is. No matter what happens and who gets elected, I can continue to do my job in helping the poor, both the financially and spiritually poor. But if abortion continues to be a law, there is nothing I can do about it. Sure I can volunteer at Crisis Pregnancy centers ( which I plan to do) and things like that but I can't really stop abortion. I can't change the law of abortion. I physically can't go out and stop someone from having an abortion but I can go out and physically give someone clothing, or food or a place to live. I may be able to reach some but if it is legal, there will always be abortions. Some Christian groups have worked on the Democratic platform which now says that they plan on reducing abortions by 60%. My first question is, how can you possibly say that? How can you make a number? Are you only going to allow 4 out of 10 women to have an abortion? No. It is also a part of the Democratic platform to pass the Freedom of Choice Act which will allow minors, to cross state lines to get abortions WITHOUT parental consent, and it will allow government to pay for abortions, among many other things. I can't support this stance. How are you going to lower the rate of abortions by making it even easier to have one and to allow government to pay for it? I don't care how much sex education you give this number is not going to go down if you make abortions easier. And just for the record Obama did vote for sex education to be extended to kindergartners. You can read about it here: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=3&GA=93&DocTypeId=SB&DocNum=99&GAID=3&LegID=734&SpecSess=&SessionThis This is not the kind of change we need in America. And one thing that also bothers me about that act that Obama signed on to is that is crosses out any thing that may teach children that abstinence is the only 100% way to avoid pregnancy and STDS. Obama did an interview for Relevant magazine, a Christian Magazine in which he emphasizes the importance of teaching children about abstinence. Again, just words from Obama.
Some say well woman can't afford to have babies so they are "forced" to abort. No, they are not. Adoption pays for everything. Adoption is the answer that God created for this problem. He knew this would go on in this fallen world and He gave us a simple solution that we are ignoring, adoption. And by the way there are 2 million couples in the US waiting to adopt. That means all of the babies who were aborted last year could have been adopted and there still would have been couples out there still waiting to adopt. Who is out there speaking for us?
I will never back down in my fight for the unborn. And this november no matter what the outcome, I will vote with conviction knowing that I did my part to be an advocate for those who can't speak for themselves. And I will also fight for those 2 million couples who are still waiting to adopt. I know what a precious gift adoption is and I want each of those couples to be able to experience what our family has experienced.
And just as a disclaimer I am not trying to say that if you do support Obama that you are less of a Christian or less of a person or anything like that. I am just trying to make my point about my personal convictions. And get some information out that some may not be aware of. Some people may agree and some people may disagree and that's ok. We are all created differently and that's a good thing. I just want to get my perspective on this out there.
oh yeah and sorry this post turned into another long one. I had a lot to say but I'll work on it next time! Thanks for reading!
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
just wanted to clarify why democrats give less money to "charity." the main reason is that poor people are more likely to be democrats and do not, therefore, have surplus money to give to charities. republicans, on average, have more money overall and thus have more to give. it may be (and i'm not saying it is for sure) that democrats are more likely to directly work with social service agencies etc and contribute to helping the "least of these" directly with their work since they may not be able to with their finances. that is all.
Just to clarify I am talking more about democratic polititians vs. republican polititians. For example, Obama has given an average of 2.18% of his income to charity over the last 7 years. Thanks for making your point though Mere. I guess I didn't explain my point well enough in my original post!
Post a Comment