Monday, September 22, 2008

First Things First

The issue that is of most importance to me and is the whole reason for me even delving into politics is abortion. So I'll go ahead and get that discussion out of the way ( although i am sure it will continue to come up). And don't be fooled I have a lot of other issues to bring up, but we'll start here.

The issue of abortion is something that touches me very deeply. I have always been Pro Life and I have always said that I will never vote for anyone other than someone who takes a Pro Life stance. This issue has taken on an even deeper meaning for me this past year. My experience going through infertility and adoption has put a whole new light on this issue for me in many ways. One obvious reason my experience further shaped my view on abortion is pretty obvious. As someone who deeply desired to become a mom, to have a baby and was told that natural conception was out of the question, I can tell you it is a heartbreaking, life changing experience. I will be transparent here and say that it was such a deep desire of mine to become a mom that when my husband and I found out that we wouldn't be able to conceive a child, I told God that I would rather die than not become a mom. God heard my cry and he answered me with a beautiful baby girl, a gift through adoption. And through our experience with adoption it gave me yet another perspective on the abortion issue. You see, often when I think about abortion, I think about my daughter. Why? you may ask. Because when women become pregnant with babies that they don't want and aren't going to keep they have 2 options abortion and adoption. I look at my daughter and think she was 2 letters away from not being here. I can't imagine this world without her. And i thank God that her birth mother chose to give her life, that abortion was never even a thought in her mind. But it deeply saddens me to think of all of those babies who are not here because of a choice that their mothers made for them. I saw a button once and it rang true, it said " I want your abortion". In other words those babies that women are aborting are deeply wanted. I have been blessed to have been given a baby through adoption but there are many couples out there who are still painfully waiting for the day that they too will become parents through the gift of adoption. There is so much emphasis on a woman's right to choose that shes doesn't want the baby she is carrying. My question is what's my choice?



But to take you away from my personal experience, let's discuss the issues at hand when it comes to abortion and this election. First of all, let me say that I have had Christian friends tell me that abortion is a trophy issue and have been encouraged that this election is about more than abortion. Well i agree there are a lot of important issues at hand in this election, but I challenge those who believe who abortion is a trophy issue to take a deeper and fair look at this election. I am not saying that you can't be a Christian who is Pro Life and still vote for Obama but what I am saying is, I think it is naive to think that your vote for Obama will not effect the status of abortion in our country. I just beg you to please, look at what your vote is going to mean for the issue of abortion. Let's take a little look at Obamas stances on abortion.

I am sure most people know by now where Obama stands on abortion rights. He says he doesn't like abortion yet is the most liberal senator and presidential candidate when it comes to abortion. When asked when he believes life begins, his answer is " it's above my paygrade". He voted against a bill, "The Born Alive Infants Protection Act", that would make sure medical care was provided to babies born from botched abortions and defends himself by saying that laws were already in place to protect these children, even though the whole reason for the bill was because of nurses testifying about babies who show signs of life being put into utility rooms to die alone. I am sorry I don't know how anybody, can defend a stance such as this. But if his past isn't enough to convince you let's look at what Obama promises to pass if elected president. One alarming act, The Freedom of Choice Act. I am not saying you shouldn't vote for Obama. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and their vote, but please make sure you know what you are voting for. This act which Liberal senators have been trying to pass for years now but has faced opposition would essentially remove any and all barriers and bans to abortion at the federal and state level. The goal of it is to essentially end the abortion debate for good and make abortion a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT!. A You can look up more details here... http://www.aul.org/FOCAHe. This act would not only allow unrestricted access to abortion it would lift any bans currently in place for government funding for abortion. So yes, that means my taxes would pay for abortions.

I am realizing that this post is getting way too long. So I am going to leave the discussion here. i'll let you digest what I have said and I'll continue my discussion on this topic in later posts. But just something else to leave you with. If you don't believe me when I say Obama is going to pass this act. I'll let you hear it from him yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf0XIRZSTt8

No comments: