Sunday, September 21, 2008
Why politics?
Most people who know me know me don't think of me as someone who engages themselves in politics. And until this year, I would have said the same thing about myself. But this year some things happened that changed all of that. One thing that happened was I became a mom. My daughter is a beautiful and precious baby who was given to me not through birth, but through the gift of adoption. My daughter was born to an 18 year old young woman in Las Vegas. A young woman who got pregnant and knew she wasn't in a place to raise a child, but she desired to carry that child and to give her to a couple that couldn't have children of their own. The couple she chose to be this precious baby girl's parents are my husband and I. We got a chance to talk to her at length during our time spent with her and when asked if adoption was a hard decision for her to make she without hesitation answered, " not at all, I knew I couldn't kill her". Our journey though infertility and adoption has taught us a lot and has completely changed our views on life, and especially on children. Well you might be thinking, " that's great Jen, but what does this have to do with politics?". good question. That is the question I hope to answer through this blog. But to get the discussion started, it began with one statement made by a politician running for president this year, that statement is " If my daughters made a mistake, I wouldn't want them punished by a baby". His name is Barack Obama. And I don't think i need to explain why this statement infuriated me. But I didn't just let the statement make me mad and continue on my way. It made me want to see what type of person would make this kind of statement. And along the way I have found much more disturbing information out about him and what he stands for. I have been doing a lot of research and much to my surprise (and my husbands) I have become a sort of political junkie. I respect other people's views when it comes to politics. But I also decided that I have a voice too and I am choosing to get my voice out there. I don't know if anyone will listen to me or read my blog but it is something I feel that I need to do. I have come to realize that I need an outlet to vent my frustrations and share my point of view. So here it comes. My husband has also told me that he thinks I missed my calling to be a lawyer so I guess in some ways this is my way to see if he's right ( but don't worry I am not going to become a lawyer, a politician maybe, but not a lawyer).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment