I have been thinking a lot about some things I have been reading about abortion. When hearing people talk about abortion, most Pro Choice people discuss abortion as being a right that we shouldn't take a way from a woman. They talk about how it is her body and how dare anyone tell a woman what to do with her body. Well I have a lot of opinions about this point of view but i won't go into that now. But one thing I have been thinking about a lot is looking at a woman's right in another way.
No one ever talks about a woman's right to hear her choices. Many people talk about what a tough decision it is for woman to make when they are dealing with an unwanted pregnancy. And I have no doubt that many, many women do indeed regard this decision as being a tough one. But my fear is that the more we grow accustomed to abortion as a society. The more it is accepted. The more it is talked about as a right. The easier the decision becomes for young women. Not because they don't care about what they do but becuase it will become so commonplace and so accepted that they won't even think about what they are doing as being wrong. Many people believe that abortion is an easier choice than carrying a baby and giving it up for adoption. Many people make that argument. And in some ways it probably is "easier" if you want to look at in that way. With an abortion no one has to know you are pregnant. You don't have to see the baby before "giving the baby up". In the future you may not even have to tell your parents you are pregnant before getting an abortion because you won't need parental notification. It all sounds like it would be easier and many women probably make the decision that way. But my concern is for these women who do choose abortion because it is easier. My concern is for them and for that day that they wake up an realize what they did. With abortion it may not hit them right away. But one day most of them will wake up one day and say "what did I do?!", "why didn't anyone tell me I was killing my baby!". I have heard many many stories of women who had abortions and who now live their life in turmoil because of this decision that they made when they were younger. Many say their life is in some way ruined. They move on, they get married, they have children but not a day goes by that they don't regret their decision. I believe we need to fight for women's right's for this issue. I believe a woman has a right to know the truth about what they are doing. This is a right I am afraid, most people are just not talking about.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment